Photo Cred: (1) | Updated: 2/19/2023
As per my last post, this was a tumultuous time of life changes and keeping up with it on paper was a struggle. At the end of May, my now wife and I were ramping up wedding prep, which was exciting and taxing on us all at once. Between this sermon and my last sermon, I only journaled twice. Didn’t make the time to slow down because these changes in life were happening so fast. Great and beautiful changes, but man what a whirlwind in time. Falling in love and less than 2 months from the wedding. With that, here’s the sermon I shared:
- Tonight, we’ll be in Philippians 3:1-11
- What should be our mindset on purpose?
- Read Philippians 3:1-11
- Fake bill sports vending at Coors Field
Transition To Main Point
- To warn you about false gospels, remind you of how to know Jesus, and the benefits of purpose.
For Your Sake (3:1)
- “To write the same things” = He’s talked about this before. What things? The gospel.
- “no trouble to me” = Not annoying.
- “safe for you” = Better safe, then sorry.
Forsake False Gospels (3:2-6)
- “the dogs… the evil doers… those who mutilate the flesh” = Judaizers believed Jesus was the Messiah, but still held onto Judaism.
- “the circumcision” = True believers have confidence in Christ -> Galatians 6:15.
- “worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus” = Action + attitude.
- “no confidence in the flesh” = zero assurance in our own good works.
- “have reason for confidence… I have more” = Has the most cultural credibility
Confidence In Flesh
- “circumcised on the eight day” = Ritual
- “people of Israel” = Ethnicity
- “tribe of Benjamin” = Rank
- “Hebrew of Hebrews” = Tradition
- “a Pharisee” = Law-Abiding
- “persecutor of the church” = Passion
- “blameless” = Obedience
For God’s Glory (3:7-11)
- “Whatever gain I had” = Benefits; respect
- “counted as loss” = Meant nothing
- “for the sake of Christ” = Our aim is his fame
- “everything as loss” = Nothing compares
- “knowing Christ Jesus my Lord” = Most fulfilling desire is met: purpose.
“Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for these desires exists”C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
- “count them as rubbish” = Literally BS
- “righteousness of my own” = Works-based
- “righteousness from God” = Way-based
- “power of his resurrection” = Alive + everlasting
- “any means possible” = Whatever it takes
- “attain the resurrection” = Acquire life/purpose
Why It Matters
- Purpose isn’t found in relevant labels, but rather in real love.
- God’s acceptance and grace isn’t earned, but given. The gospel is the message of God’s grace.
- There’s a lot of false gospels. The gospel is only found in Jesus alone.
- Know it. Learn it. Study it. Live it.
- The more you know Jesus, the more you’ll know your purpose here.
- The more you find what’s true, the more the lies of life dissipate.
- If you want to know your purpose, know Jesus.
- Purpose is found in the person of Jesus.
This was knowing the season, a rushed writing process. Thinking up how to approach this message. Making time for it. As the next couple sermons approached, this was true too. Feedback I heard was I covered too much detail and overstuffed this sermon, which was fair admittedly. Not a standout sermon, but an okay one. With that, Godspeed and Jesus bless.