Photo Cred: (1) | Updated: 1/13/2023
The month of May in 2022 was madness. Truly, one of those jam-packed months where there’s always something to do and that has to be done right now. The only real break from it all was when Glory flew out with me to meet my family in Texas. Even then, it wasn’t really a break as she’s trying to present her best self and I’m struggling family time with her time as my wife-to-be. Regardless, here’s my notes:
- As we continue Philippians, turn to 2:12-18.
- What should be our mindset with obedience?
- Read Philippians 2:12-18
- Working out salvation (high school, college).
Transition To Main Point
- To encourage you to go from finding out salvation to working out salvation by God’s grace, so that you can shine bright in a dark world.
Find Out vs Work Out: “Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”Philippians 2:12-13
- “as you have always obeyed” = consistent character and healthy growth
- “work out your own salvation” = both individually and mutually. Universal, communal; personal faith.
- Ephesians 4:14-16 + Colossians 2:4, 8
- “with fear and trembling” = awe-based fear is an awareness of God’s holiness and our lack of it. Humility in the face of God’s holiness.
- “God who works in you” = we can be obedient because God empowers us. The Holy Spirit himself guides us to obedience.
- “for his good pleasure.” = our ultimate aim is to glorify God’s name.
- God creates, we cultivate. He instructs, then invites. Physical order to spiritual order.
Imagers of God: “Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.”Philippians 2:14-16
- “all things without grumbling or disputing” = no exceptions, do everything without having an attitude and arguing
- “blameless and innocent” = As imagers of God, your image and intent matters.
- “children of God” = belonging, chosen; loved. That’s what defines us.
- “without blemish” = unrepentant recurring sin
- “in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation” = Psalm 1:1-2 + John 17:16-18
- “shine as lights in the world” = Matthew 5:14-16
- “holding fast to the word of life” = Bible
- “may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.” = Paul had disciplemaker in mind
Rejoice Over Sacrifice: “Even if I am poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.”Philippians 2:17-18
- “drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith” = celebration/sacrifice in OT
- “I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.” = Romans 12:15
Why It Matters
- Faith is progressive, not passive. One milestone to the next by way of obedience to the way of Jesus.
- The farther one goes in faith, the brighter they enlighten the world around them.
- New believers = find out, mature believers = work out.
- Don’t just observe, but obey too. Rise + shine.
Looking back, I think that busyness got the best of me here. This sermon turned out fine. It did its job, but I think it was my presentation that was lacking. That lack of energy effected this one. Then again, it’s just a sermon. The Holy Spirit can use tired, weak men like me to do incredible things. I’m just a chipped-up vessel meant to honor him and all he desires.